Wednesday, December 23, 2009

TRADITIONS...Pass them on.

"Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens.  Bright Copper Kettles and Warm Woolen Mittens.  Brown Paper Packages tied up with string.  These are a few of my favorite things!"  Don't you just love that song?  I'm listening to the Lorrie Morgan version right now and it's so beautiful.

As we get full swing into the holiday season I always think about "My Favorite Things".  What do I really love? One that always makes the top 5 is Family Traditions.  Cookies with Becky (Sometimes only in heart), Getting my husband and kids outside to build a giant snowman that requires a ladder to complete, Christmas Eve Breakfast with my Step-Father Doug and Step Sisters Crystal and Aimee, Decorating our family Christmas Tree while listening to Christmas Carols, Christmas Morning with my amazing husband and children, Christmas Dinner with my Mother and Aunt Pam, New Years Eve Pajama Parties with Bills Family and I'm sorry Levi but I love making you (my German Shorthair Pointer) wear the silly Santa Jingle collar on Christmas morning .. makes me giggle.  (He's such a tolerant puppy.. he'll be happy to know that I bought him a bigger one since he's grown!)

Whatever you love about this season, however you celebrate it and however you worship, be sure to capture these precious memories.  Journal them for your children so that when you're gone they'll know what was important and special to you and why.  Take pictures for them to relive these moments whether they were with your or not.  It's important to pass on these traditions to our children.  Keep them firmly grounded in our family bonds and develop new traditions that only you and your family share.  A friend of mine used to do Christmas movies and cocoa in front of the fire on Chrismas Eve.  I love that.. it's so special.  I'm still trying to come up with traditions of my own for my family.  How do you find something that is uniquely you?

The only one I've managed to come up with that has stuck is this:  "I made a "Blessings Box" by decorating a small wooden, lidded box with fall scrapbooking materials.  Each Thanksgiving, each member of my family, including the kids (now 7 and 9) writes a hand written note saying what they are thankful for this year.  We date it an put it in the box year after year.  Many years from now, how incredible will it be for us to revisit those memories and see how we've all changed.  We have been doing that one now for 3 years and we've yet to read these secret notes yet, so it's very much like a very intimate time capsule of our lives.  And how amazing will it be when I'm gone and they have that? 

Will you share your traditions with me?  I really want to hear the special things that you are doing with your own families. Please post them as comments to this blog so we may all share our special family times and traditions and let everyone know that these amazing family times really do exist...And whatever you do.. Journal about them and TAKE PICTURES of THEM for future generations!!  Traditions.. Pass them on!

Ok.. I had to share just one picture of Levi in his adorable Santa Jingle Collar.  He's just so precious!!



May you all have a Blessed Holiday Season.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your feedback. Feel free to post here. Thanks :)